Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Scooters Rool


When I was a waddling pregnant lady I dreamed about the spring days when I would be able to walk for more than 5 minutes without complaining about: my need to pee, my sore feet, my aching back, my unhinged hip, my pelvis feeling like it was housing a small aquarium (it was).  Well, the time has arrived.  The grass is freshly cut, cherry blossoms are bursting all over the street, and tulips of every colour and stripe are popping out of the dirt.  Now every Mon and Wed at 2 I start packing up the stroller with snacks, sunscreen, rain coats (you never know) scooters, helmets and two little girls.  It takes us about 25 minutes to make the 2 km walk to the school.  We play at the playground after school for at least half an hour, eat a snack and then start the walk back home.  It is a little slower heading home, usually about 45 minutes.  The slower time is due to the fact that we are going downhill, crossing major roads and stopping carefully at every driveway and back alley to wait for each other.  Sometimes the kids get tired and don't have the energy to scoot all the way home.  When that happens we fold up the scooters and load the scooting kids into the double stroller.  Laika sits on Leif's lap and lays her head on his chest.  They hold hands, they feed Tineke a bottle and they watch the world go by.  I don't take a moment of this for granted.
P.S. Laika doesn't look all that comfy in this photo - she normally folds up her legs and snuggles right in.  Also, there is a often a blanket involved, but we hadn't taken it out yet.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that this picture doesn't thoroughly depict the coziness of the situation.  You're just going to have to trust me on this.  There can be some serious comfort.  For them.

No comments: